Blogroll

Questions That Don’t Matter



2 comments
I got an encounter with a demon today.

I visited the nearest mall from our apartment -- wearing my newest eyeglasses, basketball shorts, slippers, and shirt -- to eat my comfort food, Lola Nena’s Bulaluhan’s malunggay noodle soup with siomai. I never thought my one-day-old eyeglasses would catch this man’s attention while we were in the line to the cashier. He asked, “Saan mo pinagawa ‘yang frame mo (Where did you get your frame)”, while pointing to my eyewear. Then I said, “Sa office ko to nakuha. May doktor po kasi kami dun (I got this from the office. We have a doctor there).” And to make the story short, I got to introduce to him Operation Blessing Philippines, Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) Asia, including my church, while I was paying my food.

To balance the conversation, I asked where he is attending church. His response surprised me. “Magugunaw kasi ang church pag pumasok ako (The church will tear down when I get in).” I assumed he was the usual person we used to minister -- pitying himself and sees forgiveness passing on to this world. So, I said with confidence and motivation, “Jesus loves you, Kuya (brother)!” He smiled and I thought he was happy for what he heard. Not until he uttered this in whisper to my ear, “Demonyo ako na nagtatago sa katawan ng tao (I am a demon hiding inside a man’s body)." It was as if the environment froze, and I did not know what to answer. I relaxed to show him I wasn’t scared. The thing I thought to let him know he cannot deceive me was to throw another question and not leave without saying anything. I asked, “Paano mo naman nasabi, Kuya (How did you say that, brother)?”

I got my order and I thought of leaving him with the hanging question; as if telling him you did not win. But he said, “Sige, sundan kita kung saan ka uupo (Okay, I’ll join you where you’ll sit).” I had no choice but to accept the challenge. Before eating and letting him reach my table, I prayed for God’s wisdom and grace. I cannot narrate far-reaching our more than an hour conversation. But let me highlight some questions he threw to me during our talk. First, “Why did God said in Genesis “let US make man”, when He was alone then. Is He really the only God?” Second, “Are you sure God is in your church?” Third, “Is Jesus really coming the second time around? Can He come again?” And last, “Why did God let Lucifer’s power remain?”

I will not tell how I responded in every question, but honestly, some I was not sure I answered correctly. I am not a theologian, yet I am also not making it an excuse to not know God more. In fact, that experience urged me study Bible deeper. Those questions don’t really matter but WILL matter.

Knowing and believing will get in the issue. That man knows God, may be more than I, but does not believe Him. The reason is, he knows God wrongly. Wrongly might be because he just wants to be different, but for sure evil is controlling him. Believing is another thing. When you believe, you will obey, and in obeying you will experience. If I am a person without a real relationship with God, I would have nodded a lot and got deceived by that man. 

The real sweet taste of a cake will never change for a man who already ate one. No matter how others will convince him that a cake is salty, he will never believe. But if he never tasted one, he might get fooled of a salty cake others will let him taste first. I pity that man he first tasted the salty cake.

That man disclosed it was his first time at that mall and just went there to eat after a business appointment nearby. He said he ‘did not think he would talk to a warrior of God in the place.’ During the last part of our conversation he said, “Akala ko made-demonyo kita (I thought I could deceive you).”

I felt joy I did not run from that demon’s challenge and God was with me in responding. Then, I realized how important it is to minister to other people. And not just introducing Jesus, but helping them have a real relationship with Him.

So blessed I have an encounter with God daily.

2 comments:

Unknown at: September 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM said...

Yes bunso same with you Ive had an encountered also. A grandmother, Ive met her at KFC while waiting. She starts asking me questions bout my church and then told me that churches just want to gain money thru tithes and offering and that alot of religion today came like what is stated in the bible to deceive people and no matter how I explain to her she just nodes and gestures disappointments. But I am not bothered nor shaken because I definitely knew in my heart I am serving a true God. ☺

Cervin Bariso at: September 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM said...

Amen! Thank you for sharing, Ate AJ! Let's be prepared to such persons, in season or out of season (2 Timothy 4:2). Have a great day! God less you more!

Post a Comment

newer post older post